A driver who is involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of any person and fails to immediately stop or return with the vehicle as close as possible to the scene of the accident is guilty of Leaving the Scene of an Accident. A driver is required to remain at the scene of the accident until the information required by law is provided and reasonable assistance is given to any injured person.
ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS OF OFFENSE
The State’s burden of proof is satisfied if the evidence shows, beyond a reasonable doubt, the following essential elements:
1) On or about [month] [day] [year], in [County], North Dakota, the Defendant, _______________;
2) Was a driver of a vehicle involved in an accident;
3) Which resulted in injury to or death of a person
4) And the Defendant failed to immediately stop or return with the vehicle as close as possible to the scene of the accident and provide information and give assistance as required by law. [
5) The accident involved personal injury.] [
6) The accident involved serious personal injury.] [
7) The accident involved death.] The law requires the driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of any person give the driver’s name and address and the name of the motor vehicle insurance policy carrier of the driver and owner as well as the registration number of the vehicle. If requested and available, the driver must exhibit the driver’s operator’s license and must render any reasonable assistance, including providing transportation to a physician or hospital.
DEFINITIONS [Insert relevant definitions.]